I won’t talk about the differences between charged antivirus programs and free spyware removal software. As you know the two are designed for somewhat different purposes and while they both are effective in their own specialties, using one with the other is like defending a fortress with less holes in it.
Spyware removers are designed to remove various adware, Trojans, dialers, worms, rootkits, and many other types of online threats, paying less attention to virus threats that are thoroughly eliminated by antivirus apps. With time the former progressed to the state – of – the – art a must – have free of charge protection applications which made it even more attractive.
Let’s head onto the best antispyware application I have been fairly successfully using in my daily computer administration work.
1. Super – Antispyware.
I have been using it for almost 3 years now and should say that it gets the work done. It’s light, easy to use and navigate and the effectiveness can be measured by the number of adware and parasites found on my system.
The Avast antivirus that currently runs on my system basically eliminates the major online threats, skipping the little ones that won’t be identified and deleted so easily. Super – Antispyware catches the nagging pests, cleans up the system and making it lighter and speedier. It’s still the best program for me and here you’ll find the more detailed Super Antispyware review.
2. Spybot Search and destroy.
It is yet another free spyware detection and removal tool which principally performs all the mentioned tasks that number one does. Removal of worms, rootkits, adware and Trojans is out of the question, and yet the makers take the extra mile to achieve much more than that.
With the new updated versions (the fifth Beta release at the moment), the Spybot S&D features:
• Removal of adware and spyware.
• Threat shredding.
• User – extendable database.
• Realtime protection against spyware.
• Teatimer function – protection against unauthorized registry changes.
• Tracking cookie and Axtive X blocking ability.
• Constant program and spyware signature updates.
• Refreshed GUI.
• Upgraded ability to work with other antivirus products.
• File scan on a network.
• Updated rootkit scanner.
• Reduced memory load.
• Fixed problems and issues with Windows security center.
• Extended heuristic malware scope.
• Optimized uninstall procedure.
• The new start center.
Spybot Search and destroy free download
Besides the usual Spybot S&D you can also download additional computer maintenance tools for free: Runalyzer, Filealyzer and Regalyzer. Their prime task is tweaking and optimizing system, file and registry settings, making you PC run faster. For example, I restored my sys file using only Spybot software from the Hiren’s Boot CD.
Finally, I would also mention the Spybot Search and Destroy bootable CD for cleaning a damaged OS system from the outside. The product is not free though, the cost is 39.90 USD.
3. Malware bytes.
One can choose between two product versions of this tool – free and pro. As you may have already realized the free is for free and the pro is charged. Let’s touch upon the free Malware bytes tool.
It basically detects the same kind and number of threats that the first two deal with, but there are some differences I would like to note.
• Chameleon feature makes the product active on infected systems.
• Precise and in-depth malware cleanup.
• No real time protection in free software.
• Real time protection Pro software version costs 24.95 $.
• Fastest scan compared with other free advanced antispyware removers.
Malware bytes free download
I would also add the ability to run it from Hiren’s boot CD, therefore even if you’re out of luck launching it from within the system, outside source is always an option.
4. Lavasoft Adaware.
The free Lavasoft ansispyware software has been in the market for quite a bit of time (more than 10 years) and it seems to stay that way. In fact, this year Lavasoft has introduced even more advanced free malware scan and removal software versions. I have used it in the past mainly to remove small nagging toolbar parasites, cookies and other obscure pests, however right now it delivers a higher level of protection, as well as better usability.
The product comes in three versions: Adaware personal security, Adaware Pro security and Adaware Free. During the installation Adaware Pro trial version will run for 30 days and if no action is taken, the product will change to Lavasoft Adaware Free version. That’s a smart marketing decision, if you ask me.
Basic Adaware free features:
• Free malware and adware removal.
• Real time protection.
• One time activation required for the free version.
• User friendly interface and easy installation.
• No opt in for Adaware toolbar on Firefox or IE.
• Automatic download of new spyware definition files.
• Reboot required after each scan.
• Silent gaming mode.
• Heuristics and rootkit protection.
For Lavasoft Adaware free download, press here.
Adaware Personal Security product costs 12 $ for a year.
• Ensures safety for online shop and banking.
• Safety for visiting social networks.
• Ability to avoid online scam.
Adaware Pro Security costs 36 $ for a yearly subscription.
• Two-way firewall.
• Advanced protection against elaborate attacks.
• Real-time email protection.