If you’re not sure what is the best driver software for XP and Windows 7 try using Driver Max. I would like to note that it is not a completely freeware product. Well, there are some limitations, but you get the product for free, so don’t grumble. The cool part is that you can upgrade to Driver Max Pro user (not free) and use the product with all the benefits it can offer.
Here’s what I have found useful when working with the Driver Max software and backup utility (that’s right, you can back up your drivers and make an update with the same tool).
Driver Max – the cool part:
• Ability to back up and restore PC drivers;
• Ability to update and install drivers;
• Daily driver update check;
• System restore points creation;
• Ability to roll back to a previous driver installation;
• Short driver download and installation time – approximately 5 minutes;
• Unknown device identification and driver download and installation;
• Hardware recommendations;
• Online driver information;
The not so cool part:
• The fully functional version is not free;
• Drivers are downloaded from a Driver Max website for freeware users – not from within the program;
• Freeware users are allowed only two free driver updates per day? What the…!?
• Compulsory online account creation and email verification;
• Waiting time before drive update download for freeware users;
• Program adds for freeware users;
All I can say is that I have used it to download and install my network driver update, because it worked in slow motion, putting it mildly. I sure didn’t expect to see such surprising results – after the driver software update, the card works like a clock, no more freeze ups while browsing the network. Another thing was my newly installed ATI Radeon Express 200 series graphics card driver. Funny thing is that I used double driver (driver backup utility) which I wrote about in a previous post. I made the XP driver backup on one of my computers and tried to restore them after a fresh Windows install with double driver. The program performed nicely, but somehow 3 drivers could not be restored – my graphics card, PCI Device and SM bus Controller. Driver Max, on the other hand, found everything I needed and successfully installed the video card driver update. If you ask me – it’s the best driver update freeware of 2012 I have used so far.
Only one thing…Driver Max guys, could you let us download at least 3 or 4 updates per day? Two drivers per day download for a freeware users? Come on!